On May 11, Guide2Research released its 2021 7th edition of the Top Scientists Ranking for Computer Science & Electronics, placing Mila’s Scientific Director at #2 in the world ranking and #1 in Canada.
Recognized worldwide as one of the leading experts in artificial intelligence, Yoshua Bengio is most known for his pioneering work in deep learning, earning him the 2018 A.M. Turing Award, “the Nobel Prize of Computing,” with Geoffrey Hinton and Yann LeCun. He is a Full Professor in the Department of Computer Science and Operations Research at Université de Montreal (UdeM), as well as the Scientific Director of IVADO.
Guide2Research, a widely used online research portal for the computer science community, bases its ranking on the H-Index metric provided by Google Scholar and the DBLP computer science bibliography, and includes only leading scientists with an H-index of at least 40.
Professor Bengio’s Google Scholar citation H-Index — a metric for evaluating the cumulative impact of an author’s scholarly output, productivity and influence — is 182. An H-Index of 60 or greater is considered remarkable.
Mila University Professors Making an Impact
Among the Top Scientists Ranking for Computer Science in Canada, several Mila faculty members ranked in the top 250 for their research influence and scholarly contributions:
- #28: Aaron Courville, Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science and Operations Research (DIRO), UdeM
- #74: Xue Liu, Full Professor in the School of Computer Science and a William Dawson Scholar at McGill University
- #98: Joëlle Pineau, Associate Professor and William Dawson Scholar at McGill University, co-director of the Reasoning and Learning Lab, and head of the Facebook AI Research (FAIR) Lab in Montreal
- #168: Christopher Pal, Full Professor, Department of Computer Engineering and Software Engineering, Polytechnique Montréal
- #175: Gregory Dudek, Professor and James McGill Chair, McGill University School of Computer Science, as well as VP Research, Samsung Electronics, Lab Head, Samsung AI Center Montreal
- #186: Kaleem Siddiqi, Professor of Computer Science at McGill University and member of McGill’s Centre for Intelligent Machines
- #196: Pascal Vincent, Associate Professor, in the DIRO at UdeM and Research Scientist at the Facebook AI Research Lab
- #211: Doina Precup, Associate Professor, McGill University School of Computer Science
The full world ranking is available here: guide2research.com/scientists
The full ranking for Canada is available here: guide2research.com/scientists/CA