Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Doing Research at Mila
Studying in Montreal
Research Master’s
Professional Master’s in Machine Learning
DESS in Machine Learning
Research Internships
Postdoctoral Fellowships

DESS in Machine Learning

How can I apply to the program?

Detailed application guidelines are available on the DIRO website. Please read them carefully.

Upon receipt of your admission notice from UdeM, you must begin the process of obtaining your CAQ and study permit as soon as possible. (unless you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident).

Is Mila selecting the DESS students?

The official admission process is under the Université de Montréal and DIRO’s responsibility.

Mila also collaborates with the DIRO to help students in their search for an internship by putting students in touch with its vast network of industrial partners, namely through the organization of various networking activities. Mila's industrial partners offer, each year, several interesting internship opportunities to Mila affiliated students.

What is the duration of the DESS program?

1 year (2 full-time terms + 1 internship term).

Please refer to the DIRO’s website (Université de Montréal) for more information.

Is it possible to do this program part-time?


For which semester can I be admitted to the DESS at UdeM?

Fall only

What are the tuition fees at UdeM?

Please refer to the information on the Université de Montréal website.

Do DESS students get a scholarship from Mila?

No, however, DESS students can apply to the EDI Scholarships Program, offered by Mila, to ensure the strong participation of women in the AI ecosystem and encourage diversity as a lever for innovation in research:

  • Catégorie 1 — Excellence Scholarships - Women in AI
  • Catégorie 2 — Excellence Scholarships - EDI in Research
  • Catégorie 3 — Emergency Scholarships

To find out more about Mila's Scholarships Program, click here.

How can I get some financial support?

Please refer to the information on the Université de Montréal website.

Do I need to pass a French exam to be eligible to study at Université de Montréal?

The Quebec government requires all international students to speak French in some capacity if they are to attend a French university, which is why they ask for TEF or TOEFL results when you apply for a CAQ or study permit. However, the DIRO department of Université de Montréal is an exception. No French exam is required.

Please note that if you wish to stay in Quebec and enter the job market, learning French would be an asset for you.

What are the prerequisites for admission?

A 3.0/4.3 GPA or higher.
Knowledge in computer science, programming, mathematics, deep learning and machine learning is an asset.

Can I take courses offered at other universities affiliated with Mila?

Yes, however, this is not specific to Mila. Students from a Quebec university can enroll in courses at other Quebec universities through a program called Bureau de coopération interuniversitaire (BCI). To complete your 2 open electives, you can use this option to register for courses at McGill, HEC Montréal, Concordia and Polytechnique Montréal, depending on the approval of your home university.

Is the program offered to international students?

Yes, and we encourage international students to apply.