Mila – Quebec Artificial Intelligence Institute, brings together researchers specialized in the field of machine learning. Recognized globally for its significant contributions to the field of deep learning, Mila has distinguished itself in the areas of language modeling, machine translation, reinforcement learning, object recognition and generative models. Since 2017, Mila is the result of a collaboration between the University of Montréal and McGill University, in close collaboration with École Polytechnique de Montréal and HEC Montréal. The Director leads all activities related to R&D and tech transfer. The team’s primary goal is to stimulate economic growth based on modern artificial intelligence. It helps companies innovate by offering consulting services and ongoing support as they integrate AI into their products and services. The team manages, contributes to and/or leads projects with various organizations. It also plays a pivotal role in AI training, namely through a growing offer of corporate programs and our new Professional Masters Degree in Machine Learning. The Director will invest in building strong long-term relationships with our partners and players in the AI ecosystem.
- Contribute to the development of the strategic plan, and then lead the R&D and technology transfer activities, including: Consulting and coaching, Industrial R&D contracts ,Professional training, Support for student projects, Collaborative research
- Define an operational structure and management processes for R&D and technology transfer activities:
- Provide a rich experience for the group’s employees, allowing them to fully contribute their expertise and develop their areas of interest
- Significantly increase the size of the team over the next few years to successfully enable this part of Mila’s strategic mission
- Recommend the business model and operational budget for the group and ensure rigorous follow-through
- Deploy the team to meet the needs of each expert, Mila and industry partners – while ensuring a high quality delivery of services
- Establish and ensure the implementation and promotion of best practices, methodologies and standards within the team
- Provide technical coaching, practical leadership and constructive supervision
- Contribute to the development of a long-term vision for professional and corporate training, then lead all of these activities, including content development (in collaboration with Mila researchers and partners)
- Represent Mila in activities, meetings and conferences relevant to its mission and goals
- Play a key role working closely with the President and Mila Leadership Team
- Advanced university degree in an appropriate field of specialization, doctorate or post-doc an asset;
- Expertise in AI / machine learning
- Experience in team management in R&D and / or technology transfer
- Experience in university and research environments
- Respect Mila values: ethical and socially responsible application of AI
- Positive attitude and respect for colleagues
- Autonomy, excellent communication skills, tact, diplomacy
- Proficiency in English and Essential French.
Please contact Luc St-Pierre for more information and applying.