Founded in 1993 by Professor Yoshua Bengio of the Université de Montréal, Mila is a research institute in artificial intelligence that rallies over 500 researchers specializing in the field of machine learning. Based in Montreal, Mila’s mission is to be a global pole for scientific advances that inspire innovation and the development of AI for the benefit of all.
Since 2017, Mila is the result of a partnership between the Université de Montréal and McGill University, closely linked with Polytechnique Montréal and HEC Montréal. Today, Mila gathers in its offices a vibrant community of professors, students, industrial partners and startups working in AI, making the institute the world’s largest academic research center in machine learning.
Mila, a non-profit organization, is internationally recognized for its significant contributions to machine learning, especially in the areas of language modelling, machine translation, object recognition and generative models.
Description of position
A research institute such as Mila needs a team of software developers to support the researchers in terms of providing the necessary tools and operating the computer clusters. A team of full-time employees can take on certain responsibilities that cannot be delegated to students.
The members of this team provide a core of expertise in best practices for software engineering. They also develop new tools to facilitate research, participate in onboarding a large number of students, and occasionally contribute on all sorts of projects that benefit from having a professional software developer.
Mila’s unique status means that much of our software development is open source in nature and serves a community of researchers whose needs require great flexibility. Solid intuition is essential for planning the development of certain projects that must be maintained over the long term (and potentially rejecting some).
This position does not require knowledge of artificial intelligence, but candidates are encouraged to develop their skills in this area. The environment at Mila is very supportive of this, offering for example reading groups that meet regularly, as well as an excellent opportunity to interact with a large pool of enthusiastic young researchers working on the cutting edge of AI.
- Design and develop new features for open source tools developed at Mila.
- Share your expertise with researchers and promote best practices in software development.
- Support and advise students, faculty and researchers on advanced software development tools and techniques.
- Contribute to developing innovative methodologies for research.
- Participate in research projects.
Absolutely essential skills
- Strong software engineering skills with professional experience
- Proficiency in Python and Linux
- Fluency in French and English
- Adept of CD/CI
- Positive and supportive attitude toward other people in a research environment
Skills that would help you stand out
- Deep expertise in Python and Linux
- Experience developing software in a research laboratory or academic setting
- Experience using or configuring computer clusters
- Experience developing open source projects
- Experience with machine learning and an interest in the field
- Experience in deep learning and strong knowledge of the standard tools (e.g. PyTorch, TensorFlow)
- Stimulating environment at the cutting edge of AI development
- Competitive salary
- Benefits and pension plan
- Generous vacation policy
- Flexible schedule, possibility of working remotely (number of days per week to be determined)
- Located in the heart of Little Italy, in the vibrant Mile-Ex neighbourhood.
- Easy access to public transportation
Mila is an equitable employer and committed to diversity. We value developing ideas as a team and cultivate an open work environment that is respectful of differences. The masculine gender is used only for the purpose of brevity. We encourage all candidates to apply, however only those selected will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in Mila!
To apply please send your resume at : firstname.lastname@example.org