Founded by Professor Yoshua Bengio of the Université de Montréal, Mila rallies researchers specializing in the field of artificial intelligence. Recognized globally for its significant contributions to the field of deep learning, Mila has distinguished itself in the areas of natural language processing, machine translation, object recognition and generative models. Since 2017, Mila is the result of a partnership between the Université de Montréal, McGill University, École Polytechnique de Montréal and HEC Montréal.
Mila’s mission is to be a global hub of scientific advancement that inspires innovation and the growth of AI for the benefit of all – including the training of talents, cutting-edge research, collaborative projects and open discussions on ethical and responsible development.
Mila – Quebec Artificial Intelligence Institute is looking for a Scientific Communicator to join its communication team.
Your future team
Reporting to the Head of Communications and Media Relations, the Scientific Communicator will be primarily responsible for proactively identifying communication opportunities and writing a variety of content to help showcase the research produced at Mila, a research institute recognized worldwide for its significant contributions to the field of deep learning.
Your main responsibilities
- Proactively identify communication opportunities and manage Mila’s science communication schedule;
- Writes, edits and coordinates the production of a wide variety of documents such as popular science articles, blog posts, press releases, fact sheets, presentations, web and social media content;
- Work with internal and external stakeholders (e.g., researchers, government, industry, etc.) on mutually beneficial communication opportunities, ensuring alignment and accuracy of joint communication efforts;
- Support Mila’s researchers in the writing and editing of selected scientific texts for different audiences;
- Support the digital communication strategy to increase the presence of scientific content, including on the website and social media;
- Prepare updates on scientific developments for management and partners;
- Work with the event manager and academic leaders to optimize and leverage Mila’s presence at various events by developing the necessary communication tools;
- Undertake other tasks as required.
- 4+ years experience in scientific writing;
- Education and/or equivalent relevant work experience in communications, journalism, writing or a related field;
- University degree in communications, journalism, writing and/or science;
- Proficiency in oral and written English and French;
- Knowledge of AI terminology is an asset;
- Ability to translate complex technical concepts into meaningful stories and information for a variety of audiences, as demonstrated by a portfolio of sample texts;
- Ability to work independently on multiple projects simultaneously, stay focused and meet deadlines;
- Demonstrate thoroughness, attention to detail and professionalism;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with an ability to work successfully with various organizational levels, stakeholders and individuals with diverse backgrounds and interests.
- Benefit from excellent employment conditions (comprehensive group insurance program, retirement savings plan with employer contributions, generous vacation policy);
- Work in the heart of Little Italy, in Mile-Ex, a thriving area with several companies and start-ups in the AI and technology industry, and close to public transportation;
- Maintain a work/life balance with our flexible working hours;
- Be surrounded by experts in their field, passionate and exciting people;
- Enjoy a collaborative work atmosphere.
How to apply
Please submit your resume and at least three sample texts to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your sample submissions may include blog posts, press releases/announcements or news articles and should be at least 400 words in length.
Thank you to all applicants for considering this job offer. We will contact those whose qualifications most closely match the specific qualities sought for this position.
Mila values equity, diversity and inclusion. We value the development of ideas in teams and cultivate an open and respectful working environment. The masculine gender is used to simplify the text. We encourage all candidates to apply for this position, however, only selected individuals will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in Mila!