Founded in 1993 by Professor Yoshua Bengio of the Université de Montréal, Mila is a research institute in artificial intelligence that rallies over 500 researchers specializing in the field of machine learning. Based in Montreal, Mila’s mission is to be a global pole for scientific advances that inspire innovation and the development of AI for the benefit of all.
Since 2017, Mila is the result of a partnership between the Université de Montréal and McGill University, closely linked with Polytechnique Montréal and HEC Montréal. Today, Mila gathers in its offices a vibrant community of professors, students, industrial partners and startups working in AI, making the institute the world’s largest academic research center in machine learning.
Mila, a non-profit organization, is internationally recognized for its significant contributions to machine learning, especially in the areas of language modelling, machine translation, object recognition and generative models.
Your future team: Partnerships and Corporate Affairs
Reporting to the Executive Vice President, who is responsible for the Partnerships and Corporate Affairs portfolio, as well as working closely with the Director of Partnerships and Strategy, you will contribute to developing AI start-ups and entrepreneurial projects mainly by implementing Mila’s various programs aimed at this clientele of entrepreneurs and companies.
You will be called upon to play a key role in the overall experience of start-up program members and participate in Mila’s outreach within the entrepreneurial ecosystem. You will engage with a wide range of external stakeholders, including companies, start-up accelerators and incubators, universities and research institutes, as well as contribute significantly to implementing one of the initiatives in Mila’s strategic plan.
Your main roles
1- Initiatives to develop entrepreneurial spirit among members of the Mila community
- Analyze the needs of the Mila community by meeting with students, faculty and staff to understand the requirements and develop entrepreneurship-related programming and initiatives.
- Develop, coordinate and promote these various initiatives aimed at introducing the Mila community to the world of entrepreneurship and the opportunities it offers.
2- Initiatives aimed at supporting Mila’s entrepreneurs and emerging start-ups
- Develop various tools to support Mila’s entrepreneurs in their projects, including a portrait of accelerator/incubator offerings and a toolkit with best business practices.
- Follow up on Mila entrepreneurs and their projects, using the customer relationship management (CRM) system.
- Coordinate the rollout of grant programs to support members of the Mila community in developing their entrepreneurial projects.
- Maintain a network of emerging start-ups from Mila whose founding member is no longer affiliated with Mila (Emerging Start-up Alumni), as well as entrepreneurial projects from Mila alumni.
- Analyze and propose new initiatives to better support members of the Mila community who wish to launch an entrepreneurial project.
3- Entrepreneurial ecosystems
- Develop relationships of trust with players in the start-up ecosystems and their stakeholders, including AI accelerators and incubators, and create opportunities to collaborate with them.
- Monitor the challenges of AI start-up ecosystems and their innovative practices.
4- Other responsibilities
- Contribute to the content and prepare updates or new programs related to the start-ups.
- Contribute to developing communication tools for start-up programs, in collaboration with the Communications team.
- Gather data and write reports on performance indicators pertaining to the start-up programs.
- Work with the teams to develop and implement projects of all kinds, including events, in connection with activities that serve Mila’s emerging and partner start-ups.
- Review relevant documentation and grant programs pertaining to start-up support, as needed.
- Any other related tasks
- University degree in a relevant field of specialization
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience in technology, consulting or any other relevant field
- Prior experience with a start-up incubator or accelerator, or any entrepreneurial acceleration program
- Previous experience with a start-up in the technology field a plus
- Excellent presentation and facilitator skills
- Ability to work in an environment and collaborate on technical issues related to computer science and data management, especially machine learning
- Working knowledge of common office tools (Slack, Google Suites, Asana), as well as familiarity with a CRM-type tool (Cooper), would be a plus.
- Impeccable client approach
- Bilingualism (French and English)
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Leadership and autonomy
- Stimulating environment at the cutting edge of AI development
- Competitive salary
- Benefits and pension plan
- Generous vacation policy
- Flexible schedule, possibility of working remotely (number of days per week to be determined)
- Located in the heart of Little Italy, in the vibrant Mile-Ex neighbourhood.
- Easy access to public transportation
Mila is an equitable employer and committed to diversity. We value developing ideas as a team and cultivate an open work environment that is respectful of differences. The masculine gender is used only for the purpose of brevity. We encourage all candidates to apply, however only those selected will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in Mila!
To apply please send your resume at : firstname.lastname@example.org