Founded by Professor Yoshua Bengio of the Université de Montréal, Mila rallies researchers specializing in artificial intelligence. Recognized globally for its significant contributions to deep learning, Mila has distinguished itself in natural language processing, machine translation, object recognition, and generative models. Since 2017, Mila is the result of a partnership between the Université de Montréal, McGill University, École Polytechnique de Montréal and HEC Montréal.
Mila’s mission is to be a global hub of scientific advancement that inspires innovation and the growth of AI for the benefit of all – including the training of talents, cutting-edge research, collaborative projects and open discussions on ethical and responsible development.
Your primary mandate
As a systems administrator, you help fulfill the team’s mission to provide AI researchers with the best tools to excel in their cutting-edge work.
You apply your skills in network management, security and IT systems in collaboration with Mila’s IT team in an ever-changing environment. Your strong communication and analytical skills allow you to suggest to the team and supervisor actions to implement for the organization’s tooling optimization.
In the context of deploying an AI cluster based on GPU compute nodes, the System Administrator applies their skills to the deployment and optimal maintenance of new compute, storage and networking servers for this cluster.
Your main responsibilities
- Act as a reference in the team for network issues
- Maintain security features and configurations associated with the network and servers such as; system updates, firewall configuration, maintenance and configuration of WiFi, VPN, SSH and other network equipment
- Configure authentication and authorization in the service directory
- Deploy new nodes in the cluster through hardware interventions and software provisioning contributions
- Determine and resolve performance and operating problems in hardware and software components
Your secondary functions
As a system administrator in the IT team, you also contribute to the following aspects;
- Development of the DevOps strategy for software deployment and configurations
- Evolution of the backup strategy and recovery plan
- Active monitoring of all IT infrastructure elements
- Management of existing GPU compute servers
- Development of data management policies
- Evolution of security policies
- Writing and updating technical documentation
- Integration of new users
- Desktop and laptops support
- IP telephony management
- Printer management
Ideal candidate profile
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to rapid change
- Willingness to learn continuously
- Commitment to and understanding of the mission
- Versatility and problem-solving attitude
- Good oral and verbal communication skills, bilingual (French and English)
- Ease in teamwork
- High level of autonomy
- DEC or bachelor’s degree in computer science. Equivalent experience will be considered if the candidate can demonstrate beyond any doubt his/her competence to perform the tasks
- Experience in computer network management
- Experience in supporting Linux servers in a high-performance computing environment
- Knowledge of firewall technologies and their configuration
- Experience with TCP/IP network, VLAN, bonding, etc. configurations.
- Experience with Virtual Private Networks (VPN)
- Experience in Shell scripting and system automation using Perl, Bash and Python.
- Knowledge of OpenLDAP, SSSD, Radius type solutions under the Linux environment.
- Experience in backup and recovery update procedures
- Experience with virtual environments, ideally KVM, proxmox, and other KVM products.
- Experience with container type solutions, such as singularity and docker
- Benefit from excellent employment conditions (comprehensive group insurance program, retirement savings plan with employer contributions, generous vacation policy);
- Work in the heart of Little Italy, in Mile-Ex, a thriving area with several companies and start-ups in the AI and technology industry, and close to public transportation;
- Temporary remote work;
- Maintain a work/life balance with our flexible working hours;
- Be surrounded by experts in their field, passionate and exciting people;
- Enjoy a collaborative work atmosphere.
How to apply
Please submit your resume to email@example.com.
Mila values equity, diversity, and inclusion. We value the development of ideas in teams and cultivate an open and respectful working environment. We encourage all candidates to apply for this position; however, only selected individuals will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in Mila!