Founded by Professor Yoshua Bengio of the Université de Montréal, Mila brings together researchers specializing in artificial intelligence and more specifically in machine learning (deep learning and reinforcement learning). Recognized worldwide for its major contributions, Mila has especially excelled in language modelling, machine translation, object recognition and generative models. Since 2017, Mila has been the result of a collaboration between Université de Montréal and McGill University, as well as Polytechnique Montréal and HEC Montréal.
Mila’s mission is to be a global hub for scientific advancement that inspires innovation and the development of AI for the benefit of all, notably through the training of talent, cutting-edge research, collaborative projects and dialogue on ethical and responsible development.
Your future team: Talent and Ecosystem
Reporting to the Vice-President, Talent and Ecosystem, this position provides strategic communications support across the organization and helps promote the research produced at Mila. The successful candidate will work with the executive team to build the Institute’s profile and manage communications-related matters.
- Design and implement communications and public relations strategies in line with the objectives.
- Plan and oversee public relations activities, including writing, editing and publishing press releases, news and social media content.
- Receive and handle media requests, as well as all invitations from Mila members to conferences or other events.
- Ensure a thorough handling of media-related issues.
- Advise and guide the management team, employees and researchers during interviews, public speaking engagements, conferences or other events.
- Maintain lasting relationships with a diverse network of stakeholders, including journalists, columnists, bloggers, etc.
- Manage the media monitoring strategy, track the impact of media coverage and share a press review with members of management.
- Identify threats and opportunities in content generated by social media users pertaining to Mila’s activities.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders (e.g. researchers, government, industry, etc.) on mutually beneficial communications opportunities, ensuring alignment and accuracy of joint communications efforts.
- Collaborate with management to meet internal and external reporting requirements by preparing progress updates for sponsors, management and partners.
- Carry out other tasks as required.
- Ten+ years of experience in public relations, mainly in issues management and media relations
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations or an appropriate discipline
- Master’s degree in communications, public relations or equivalent is considered an asset.
- Mastery of spoken and written French and English
- Knowledge of the academic and research community is an asset.
- Knowledge of AI terminology is an asset.
- Ability to work independently on multiple projects at once, as well as stay focused and meet deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work successfully with various levels of the organization, as well as stakeholders and individuals with diverse backgrounds and interests
Good reasons to work at Mila
- Benefit from excellent employment conditions (comprehensive group insurance program, retirement savings plan with employer contribution, generous vacation policy).
- Work in the heart of Little Italy, in the trendy Mile-Ex neighbourhood, close to public transit.
- Maintain a work/life balance with our flexible hours.
- Interact with experts in their field, people who are passionate and enthusiastic.
- Enjoy a collaborative work environment.
How to apply
Please submit your resumé and at least three sample texts (press releases and/or blog articles) of at least 500 words at the following address: email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for considering this employment opportunity. We will contact those whose qualifications most closely match the specific requirements for this position.
Mila is an equal opportunity employer and committed to diversity. We value the development of ideas as a team and cultivate an open work environment that is respectful of differences. The masculine gender is used solely for the purpose of brevity. We encourage all candidates to apply, however only those selected will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in Mila!