Founded by Professor Yoshua Bengio of the Université de Montréal, Mila rallies researchers specializing in the field of artificial intelligence. Recognized globally for its significant contributions to the field of deep learning, Mila has distinguished itself in the areas of natural language processing, machine translation, object recognition and generative models. Since 2017, Mila is the result of a partnership between the Université de Montréal, McGill University, École Polytechnique de Montréal and HEC Montréal.
Mila’s mission is to be a global hub of scientific advancement that inspires innovation and the growth of AI for the benefit of all – including the training of talents, cutting-edge research, collaborative projects and open discussions on ethical and responsible development.
Your future team: Computing Infrastructure and Information Technologies
You will work in close interaction with over 400 student researchers working on fascinating research problems, 70 staff members and 35 professors.
You will act as a strategic advisor to management on new information technologies in the Artificial Intelligence research field and will manage the existing IT team. You will also be responsible for the management and evolution of Mila’s High Performance Computing infrastructure (HPC) and all of its information systems, including the design, purchase and implementation of equipment (computing clusters), the management of IT operations, the evolution of technologies, user support and network security.
Your main responsibilities:
- Lead and manage all aspects of the design, development, monitoring and maintenance of the computing infrastructure (clusters), firewalls, network and storage infrastructures, SSO and VOIP;
- Manage HelpDesk // IT support and implement processes to improve service;
- Participate in the design, implementation and communication of the security, disaster recovery and expansion plans, ensuring the security and integrity of the organization’s data, databases, information systems and technology;
- Maintain the integrity and continual operation of the computing resources on-site and remotely and improving cluster performance;
- Act as a member of the Mila Steering Committee; Provide recommendations on computing infrastructure and technology issues;
- Identify and respond to the organization’s extended needs (wifi, web, intranet, data systems, IT equipment, security, IT support, physical and IT access management, procurement);
- Manage and follow-up on grant requests for computing power infrastructure;
- Manage the equipment purchasing process, including requests for tenders; evaluate proposals and recommend the choice of equipment; negotiate service agreements;
- Be attentive to the computing power needs of the professors-researchers and work in collaboration with the Director of Innovation, Development and Technologies;
- Represent Mila with external stakeholders such as Calcul Québec, NDRIO, etc.;
- Develop long-term technological plans to support and sustain the various teams in the Mila ecosystem;
- Monitor the department budget. Presents appropriate reports and controls the contracts of his department;
- Any other duties necessary for the proper functioning of the team.
Qualifications needed :
- Leadership: Knowing how to mobilize and develop your team; Having a vision and giving a direction towards which the efforts of your team members converge;
- Experience working successfully with cross-functional teams;
- A hands-on approach;
- Positive attitude to meet the challenges of a fast-growing company (start-up);
- Ability to manage projects and emergency situations;
- Spoken and written fluency in English and French.
Technical skills required :
- At least 5 years experience in a management role as IT Manager/Director or equivalent;
- Experience in IT risk management;
- Extensive Linux expertise (wall-to-wall);
- Experience managing an IT support team (helpdesk);
- Experience in IT security;
- Experience with ITIL management processes;
- Knowledge of the academic environment – an asset;
- Experience in managing shared computing clusters for High Performance Computing (HPC);
- Expertise with the SLURM compute task orchestrator;
- Expertise in parallel storage systems;
- Networking expertise for InfiniBand HPC;
- Proven knowledge of GPU computing equipment and accelerators;
- Recent experience with at least one cloud service;
- Experience in implementing high-performance infrastructure solutions and managing projects that have had an impact on the organization;
- Experience and knowledge of virtualization, backup systems, storage area network (SAN) technologies, network/server management and monitoring;
- Experience in data centre management and high availability implementation;
- Experience in implementing automated server installations, security audits and task automation.
- Benefit from excellent employment conditions (comprehensive group insurance program, retirement savings plan with employer contributions, generous vacation policy);
- Work in the heart of Little Italy, in the trendy Mile-Ex district, close to public transportation;
- Maintain a work/life balance with our flexible working hours;
- Be surrounded by experts in their field, passionate and exciting people;
- Enjoy a collaborative work atmosphere.
Mila values equity, diversity and inclusion. We value the development of ideas in teams and cultivate an open and respectful working environment. The masculine gender is used to simplify the text. We encourage all candidates to apply for this position, however, only selected individuals will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in Mila!
Please contact email@example.com for recruitment.