Founded by Professor Yoshua Bengio of the Université de Montréal, Mila rallies researchers specializing in the field of artificial intelligence. Recognized globally for its significant contributions to the field of deep learning, Mila has distinguished itself in the areas of natural language processing, machine translation, object recognition and generative models. Since 2017, Mila is the result of a partnership between the Université de Montréal, McGill University, École Polytechnique de Montréal and HEC Montréal.
Mila’s mission is to be a global hub of scientific advancement that inspires innovation and the growth of AI for the benefit of all – including the training of talents, cutting-edge research, collaborative projects and open discussions on ethical and responsible development.
Your future team: Research activities
Reporting to the Manager, Research Activities and the Scientific Director, the incumbent is responsible for the administration of a portfolio of research projects, support of research activities overall including assistance with reporting and proposal grant writing. As a key player in the administration of research at Mila, he/she will act as an administrative liaison between the Scientific Direction team and internal units as well as between Mila, and external research funding agencies and other organizations.
- Liaise with and maintain a close working relationship with the members of the research team, other staff units and partner organizations;
- Help establish mechanisms and processes to inform internal and external stakeholders regularly on project activities to engage and maintain participation;
- Plan and organize research meetings, workshops, conferences, and other events.
Responsible for tracking of progress and reporting:
- Ensure objectives and milestones are achieved within the established timeline and budget;
- Obtain and assemble scientific, administrative and financial data and statistics on a regular basis, and put together progress reports in collaboration with other team members;
- Responsible for early detection of issues that could impede progress;
- Assist with institutional reporting to the Federal and provincial governments;
- Take meeting minutes and follow up as needed;
- Act as a bridge between the research team, Applied Research Team, Partnerships/Legal team, IDT team, Finance team to help move forward all the components of research projects as applicable (research, software development, technology transfer, legal affairs) and ensure compliance with applicable policies and regulations;
- Liaise with Finance department for overall administration of research-related accounts – assist with preparation of budgets, expenses tracking and transfers of funds as needed;
- Help implement project management policies and strategies that support research initiatives.
Grant writing support:
- Assist with the preparation and submission of grant application packages; respond to queries from researchers regarding agency regulations and procedures
- Liaise with external funding agencies with regards to application process, guidelines, policies and financial administration of awards.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a scientific field relevant to the primary area of research, MSc or PhD, an asset;
- 2 – 4 years of related experience;
- Experience dealing with granting agencies and grant applications, an asset;
- Excellent communication in English (written and spoken); French (written and spoken) an asset;
- Proven ability to oversee the coordination of projects in a research environment involving multiple stakeholders;
- Diligent attention to detail and quick learner;
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, assess and meet strict deadlines;
- Excellent interpersonal, facilitation, organizational, communication, and team-building skills.
- Benefit from excellent employment conditions (comprehensive group insurance program, retirement savings plan with employer contribution, generous vacation policy);
- Work in the heart of Little Italy, in the trendy Mile-Ex district, close to public transportation;
- Maintain a work/life balance with our flexible working hours;
- Be surrounded by experts in their field, passionate and exciting people.
- Enjoy a collaborative work atmosphere;
How to apply
Please submit your resumé to the attention of Jeanne Pouliot at the following address: email@example.com.
Mila values equity, diversity and inclusion. We value the development of ideas in teams and cultivate an open and respectful working environment. The masculine gender is used to simplify the text. We encourage all candidates to apply for this position, however only selected individuals will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in Mila!