Founded by professor Yoshua Bengio of Université de Montréal, Mila brings together specialized researchers in the field of deep learning. Recognized worldwide for its important contributions to deep learning, Mila has distinguished itself in the fields of generative models, automatic translation, object recognition and generative models. Since 2017, Mila is a collaboration between Université de Montréal and McGill University, with tight links to École Polytechnique de Montréal and HEC Montréal.
As systems administrator, you will manage the computer environment of Mila and oversee the operation of its multiple servers in collaboration with Milas’s IT team.
The LINUX system administrator will plan, deploy, and maintain new servers and handle all other tasks related to IT infrastructure, such as networking, printing, etc.
You will also provide technical support to teams and projects at Mila.
- Except a few Microsoft and Mac laptops, the computer systems work under the LINUX environment.
- Manage administrative servers, GPU servers, office workstations and laptops.
- Manage printers.
- Manage IP phones.
- Manage videoconferencing.
- Deploy software
- Manage the firewall, maintain and configure VPN and SSH access as well as analyze logs.
- Identify and solve hardware problems.
- Keep up-to-date security elements associated with servers, firewall, and networking equipment.
- Monitor all elements of our IT infrastructure.
- Identify bottlenecks.
- Participate in discussions over design, architecture and engineering of systems.
- Maintain and evolve our backup strategy and recovery plan.
- Integrate new users.
- Provide support relative to the specific needs of Mila users and use cases of essential elements for their daily work.
- Manage and identify user needs.
- Manage the configuration for authentification and authorisation of the service book as well as infrastructure security.
- Participate in the maintenance of the SLURM task manager.
- Configure and monitor networking systems (routers, wireless access points, etc.)
- Support for free software ideology.
- DEC or bachelor’s degree in computer science. Equivalent experience will be considered if the candidate can demonstrate beyond doubt his/her competence in the required tasks.
- 5+ years of experience in supporting LINUX servers in an high performance computing environment.
- Knowledge of Debian, Ubuntu and/or other DEB-based distributions.
- Knowledge of RPM-type environments (RedHat, SuSE), an asset.
- Experience in virtual environments, ideally KVM, proxmox.
- Experience with containers, such as Singularity or docker.
- Knowledge of firewall technology and their configuration.
- Experience with networking in TCP/IP, VLAN configurations, bonding, etc.
- Experience with virtual private networks (VPN).
- Experience with Shell scripting and automation in Perl, Bash and Python.
- Previous experience in a high performance computing environment.
- Must be available to work outside normal office hours and on weekends when needed.
- Capable of writing documentation and procedures related to computer systems.
- Knowledge of backup and recovery procedures in case of disaster.
- Quick learning and rapid adaptation to change.
- Bilingual (French and English).
- High level of autonomy.
- In-depth knowledge of Linux.
- Knowledge of Kerberos, openLDAP, SSSD, Radius under LINUX environment.
Please contact email@example.com for recruitment.