Description of mandate
The scientific coordinator at MILA does the administration of research in general. As such, she/he has an overview of what is being done at MILA. It bridges the gap between the different research groups, helps to connect researchers / students with common or complementary interests, participates in the organization of workshops and activities around MILA’s main research areas.
- Follow-up of the laboratory’s research administration: monitoring and compilation of laboratory results and scientific publications according to the financial rules and attributions of the granting agencies and external partners.
- Assistance in writing grant applications: Participate in writing grant applications, producing project reports and supporting the writing of scientific articles in machine learning in collaboration with professors and researchers.
- In coordination with operations management, develop and maintain computer tools to plan and track projects (slacks, discourse), researchers and scientific computing equipment of the laboratory.
- Student Support: Welcome and support students and researchers with slacks and discourse tools, webmaster for project monitoring and internal laboratory communication platforms.
- In coordination with the operations, webmaster of the MILA extranet: update of the content of the general public web site of the laboratory, follow-up of the media coverage of the research in machine learning (technology watch)
- In coordination with operations: organize training activities for students and researchers in machine learning.
- In coordination with the director of software development, acts as a liaison between researchers and software development: coordination between the scientific objectives, set by the research manager, and the activities of professionals in charge of developing software tools for learning automatic.
- In coordination with the director of technology transfer, organize workshops and events with our industrial partners
- Advanced university degree in a relevant field of specialization, doctoral or post-doc an asset
- Excellent writing skills in French and English
- Analytical mind
- Interpersonal skills, social skills
- Experience in project management an asset
- Be able to perform various tasks in parallel
- Team spirit and collaboration, contribution to the community
- Positive attitude and respect for colleagues
- Adherence to MILA values, especially the ethical and socially responsible application of AI
- Autonomy, excellent communication skills, tact, diplomacy
- Proficiency in English and French
- Flexible work schedule
- Participation in conferences abroad
- Must be available if there are tight deadlines for submitting grant applications.
- Participation in networking activities (cocktails, special events etc)
Nominations may be submitted to Luc St-Pierre.
Founded by professor Yoshua Bengio of Université de Montréal, the MILA brings together specialized researchers in the field of deep learning. Recognized worldwide for its important contributions to deep learning, the MILA has distinguished itself in the fields of generative models, automatic translation, object recognition and generative models. Since 2017, the MILA is a collaboration between Université de Montréal and McGill University, with tight links to École Polytechnique de Montréal and HEC Montréal.
The MILA’s mission is to pursue excellence in artificial intelligence, provide leadership in the AI ecosystem through technological transfer and finally, promote the ethical and socially acceptable use of AI.